1. Adding an IP to the blacklist by clicking in on the event details in the Security Events panel takes several minutes. Doing it by adding it manually in the Blocking panel takes "only" about 10 seconds, which is still very long in my opinion.
It shouldnt take that long, that could happen I suppose if your system mas overloaded. Could you post your sysstat data for your system?
2. I don't see any way to have blocked IP's added to the blacklist automatically. Do I realay need to add all bad IP's to the blacklist manually all the time?
ASL will automatically block attackers IPs. You do not need to add attackers IPs to the blacklist.
3. Both the ASL Configuration panel and the ASL Web Settings panel take between 30 seconds to several minutes to load, sometimes fail to load completely, and sometimes fail to save changed settings.
See issue 1, thats load and database related. Can you send the output of mysqltuner for your system?
4. The options within the Security Events panel don't work. None of the buttons for pagination and filtering work.
Wow, that would mean your system is really hammered. Please post your sysstat and mysqltuner data for us to look at.
5. None of the Reports work (the green section in the menu).
Assuming ASL had time to run and generate data to report, those are generated in real time. How long was ASL running when you tried to run a report, and how many security events did ASL display in the Security Events Window?
This might be a load issue too, if there was data to work with. See above, please post your sysstat and mysqltuner data so we can see whats going on with your system.