store | blogs | forums | twitter | facebook | wiki | mailing lists | downloads | support portal
Atomic Secure Linux
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:50 pm

» Feed - Atomicorp

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: malware-blacklist.txt - a memory hog?
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:42 am 
Forum User
Forum User

I recently found out that my httpd processes use a lot of physical memory. Each process use 141 MB (!) at startup, which is way above normal. After some investigation it was clear that mod_security / malware-blacklist.txt was the source of the problem (malware-blacklist.txt is apparently used in 10_asl_antimalware.conf). Emptying this file saves me 90+ MB for each httpd process, which is a lot.

So, is this an expected behavior or a bug? A memory leak? Maybe some kind of misconfiguration?
malware-blacklist.txt looks so innocent (only 164 kB in size), so something must be wrong?
A server with 20 httpd processes will eat nearly 2 GB of memory just because of this.

Post subject: Re: malware-blacklist.txt - a memory hog?
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:02 pm 
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Its not a bug, its a byproduct of how parallel searches are done. The malware domain list is around 10K entries long, if we did a normal search of that list the process would slow down the webserver (thats how it used to be done back in the modsec 1.x days) but wouldn't use much memory. Now we do parallel searches which are lightning fast, and require more memory. So its a trade off, speed for memory, or memory for speed. So, if you don't have enough memory then you probably shouldnt use the antimalware rules.

Given the night and day performance enhancement parallel searches gives us, its the only way to do lookups in milliseconds on large lists. Any other method would kill the server. Most people don't have any issues with this ruleset memory being pretty cheap these days. So if memory is an issue for you, then you won't be able to use the antimalware blocklist.

A box with 1.5 GB of memory will do just fine.

Co-Author of Troubleshooting Linux Firewalls.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:42 pm 
Forum User
Forum User

Thank you for the explanation, very clear. I generally prefer speed over memory (and absolutely love the word parallelism :) ), so it sounds like a good decision.

Memory is not a problem under normal load. I'm more concerned about what will happen under heavy load, when apache goes wild and forks a lot of processes.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:54 pm 

I havent seen anything untoward happen under very very heavy load, and havent heard any reports either - so you should be good. We're working on some enhancements to the parallel matching that might be able to cut the footprint by 33-50%. It might be possible to cut it another third, but I need to do some testing of a complex branching method first.

Co-Author of Troubleshooting Linux Firewalls.

» Feed - Atomicorp